PHOTOGRAVURE (COPPER PLATE)
Duration: 3 Days
1,2 & 3 October 2012
back to Workshops 2012 main page
There are few opportunities to learn how to make hand copper plate photogravures using the original process developed by Fox Talbot, Poitevin and Klic.
Although the process is a challenge in terms of skill, judgement and craftsmanship, Peter Moseley, who has taken over this workshop from Terry King, has aquired an impressive ability to make prints using this demanding process and is a first class teacher.
This workshop will cover the skills necessary to produce a photogravure including:
- Preparation of the Copper Plate
- Aquatinting the prepared plate
- Preparation of carbon tissue
- Exposing the prepared carbon tissue under the negative
- Etching the copper plate
- Inking of etched copper plates
- Choice and preparation of paper
- Printing images using an etching press.
Copper Plate Gravure Print by Peter Moseley
Gravure prints made by students during a workshop